For the first time in N scale, BLI is bringing out the USRA Light and Heavy 2-8-2 designs, commonly called Heavy Mikados and Light Mikados! There were 233 original USRA Heavy 2-8-2’s built plus another 957 copies, covering 23 railroads. It was an extremely successful design. The USRA Heavy Mikados used pretty much the same running gear as the Light Mik’s, but the boilers were 10 inches larger in diameter and they had larger cylinders as well. Tractive effort was about 10% higher for the heavy 2-8-2’s.
As for the USRA Light Mikados, the USRA built 625 total, with 641 copies built after the USRA ended control. With copies, over 50 railroads used the USRA Light 2-8-2’s.
BLI’s models follow the original designs closely. Railroad specific variations are not modeled on these locomotives. In most instances we offer two locomotive numbers for each railroad, and we are offering a painted model (black) with no lettering.
Industry-Leading SOUND Features:
- Operates in DC & DCC (use DCMaster for DC Sound)
- Record & Play Operation – Records and plays back sounds and movements once or repeatedly for automatic operation
- 16-bit Sample Rate for exceptional high frequency sound clarity
- Playback Whistle for multiple whistle lengths and patterns
- Choice of 3 selectable Whistles
- Alternate Whistle / Horn where applicable for locomotive with air horn and steam whistle – both the main whistle and alternate can be easily played
- Adjustable bell ringing interval for faster or slower bell
- Numerous user-mappable functions with available keys
- Johnson Bar or Power Reverse Sound at Direction Change
- Passenger Station Ambient Sounds – Controlled with Function Key
- Freight Yard related radio chatter – Controlled with Function Key
- Lumber Yard Ambient Sounds – Controlled with Function Key
- Farm related radio chatter – Controlled with Function Key
- Crew Radio Communications – Controlled with Function Key
- Maintenance Yard related radio chatter – Controlled with Function Key
- Demo Mode for display and demonstrations
- Grade Crossing Signal – Controlled with Function Key
- Simple Programming with Integral DCC Decoder
- Automatic Forward / Reverse Signal – When activated, stopping triggers and stop whistle toot. When moving forward from a stopped position, toots twice. When moving in reverse, toots three times.
- Chuff sound intensity varies with load
- Individually adjustable sound volumes for most effects
**Specifications on this page subject to change.